My other blog

My other blog Mama Thrift

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Life lessons from Winnie the Pooh

This morning my husband passed on a message from someone close to me. The details of the message I will not share but I was left very annoyed and I guess rather angry. I became offended by this person's lack of change in behaviour that they themselves admitted they needed to improve in. Now I love this person to bits and admire so much about them. I am totally grateful that they are in my life. But I just got so fed up and felt I guess justified in my passing of judgement. I knew I was wrong, my husband reminded me I was wrong but it took a Winnie the Pooh story to teach me a lesson.

After venting to my husband, he preceded to read 'Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too' upon request from our son. The story opens with Tigger going around bouncing his friends to the ground with a WHUMP-BUMP-BUMP. Firstly Tigger interrupts Pooh who is trying to think, then Tigger scares poor nervous Piglet, then Tigger saved his best bounce for Rabbit. I actually felt sorry for Rabbit because he just finished his garden (I'm a beginner Gardener) and Tigger bounced him so much that his whole garden was a flattened mess.

Rabbit - "Oh Tigger, why don't you EVER stop bouncing?"
Tigger - " 'Cause bouncin' is what tiggers do best!"

Later, Pooh and Piglet went to Rabbit's house for a special Tigger protest meeting. The plan was to find a way to unbounce Tigger. The plan was to take Tigger into the wood and lose him and come and get him in the morning. Rabbit felt that this would take the bounce out of Tigger. It turns out that Rabbit, Pooh and Piglet were the ones who got lost whilst Tigger was his usual chirpy self bouncin to his hearts delight. Rabbit decides to find his own way and leaves Pooh and Piglet, who incidently find their way by Pooh listening to the voices of his honey pots. The story continues with Tigger bouncing into Pooh and Piglet who explain that Rabbit is lost. Tigger goes off to find a very panicky Rabbit. Once Tigger finds Rabbit the story ends with the following -

So the two started back. Rabbit was not a happy Rabbit. He was a tired Rabbit. A lost-and-found Rabbit. A why-oh-why-do-these-things-happen-to-me Rabbit! But Rabbit had learned his lesson. Never again would he try to change his friends. He was lucky to have them just they way they were.

And hopefully I will learn mine.

4 comments:

  1. Its funny isint where are lessons can be learned and how they often appear just as we need them. I found this all the time when I prepared a RS lesson or prepared a VT MSG message, it felt like it was meant for my situation exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for sharing - It's a good lesson for me to remember too.

    Side note: I can't WAIT to read to my kids and have them have a clue what I'm saying!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jillina - a good lesson for all of us :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete