My other blog

My other blog Mama Thrift

Monday, August 16, 2010

Our first pet.

Last week our lovely neighbour now hailed as Aunty brought over some strawberries for the boys. As I prepared the fruit for eating I noticed a little dark brown grub. I showed our excitable Monkey. He didn't fail to get to get excited and squealed with delight. "Oooooh our first pet!". We cracked up laughing and my neighbour said oh that's pretty bad if a grub is your pet. We laughed some more and I contemplated getting the children a fish.

We cant have a pet at the moment because we rent in a complex. I can't wait for a little pet for the boys though. I have always thought that I would get Monkey a puppy when he gets baptised. At the moment the closest thing we have to a pet is the chicken we host at my mother's house. There are two laying hens whom the boys named Sophie and Sam (borrowed names from a story book). I love to save all my scraps for the chickens in my fridge. When Mum and I cross paths we trade eggs for scraps. Even though we take turns buying chicken feed, I'm always tempted to give them special foods. But I remind myself that I don't want to turn these free-range eggs into super expensive eggs.

I often think too many modern children miss out on the joys and responsibilities of pets. Renting, smaller yards, registrations costs and desexing practises are factors that all contribute to many children missing out on having pets. As a child I loved our family pets and it was amazing to see them have babies. We try to expose the boys to the wonder of animals as much as possible. We visit theme parks, pet shops, family with pets, and stalk that Baby Barnyard organisation that visits shopping centres with all those adorable baby farm animals.

Anyways I got a kick out of Monkey's simple and positive outlook on life. Its a shame my hubby threw our first pet in the bin. My thoughts were more brutal - give it to the chickens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment