My other blog

My other blog Mama Thrift

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The more I think about it, the bigger it gets.

Quote seen on the under side of a Brisbane city bridge:

The more I think about it
The bigger it gets.


Yesterday Hubby and I both saw the above quote painted on the under side of a bridge, and after a few seconds of pondering, we agreed this is true. I personally find it profound. I have since tried to apply different topics to this saying and have found it to be true. For example sometimes the more I dwell on the 'so-called' negatives in my life, the bigger they seem to get. In contrast the more I think about the real positives in my life, the more I think WOW - I am so blessed, grateful and happy!

I recently read an article in the June 2010 Ensign 'Your Mission in Life is Now' (PDF Version) alternate plain text version.

Author Jan Pinborough discusses how 'three principles can help us step into the future with greater confidence, energy, and faith.'

I especially like how she relates the story of the early saints (1831) who were commanded to stay in Kirtland, Ohio for a little season knowing they would soon go to another land but not knowing when or where.

'And the hour and the day is not given unto them, wherefore let them act upon this land as for years, and this shall turn unto them for their good” (D&C 51:16–17)

Jan explains- 'I like to picture those early Saints hearing the Lord’s instructions and getting right to work. They plowed fields they didn’t know they would harvest, planted trees whose fruit they might never eat, and built a beautiful temple they would ultimately have to leave. I picture them living busy, productive lives, not peering endlessly into the unknown, wondering where they would go next and when. They acted “as for years,” trusting that their work would not be in vain.'

How I relate to this, and the above quote? I realised that sometimes I may think too much of the future and forget to live in the day. The more I THINK or WORRY about how I am going to get to a certain point the BIGGER my worry may get.

Instead, I would like to THINK more of my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, so the BIGGER my faith gets.

I'd like to THINK more of the scriptures, so the BIGGER their value will be to me.

I'd like to THINK more of about doing good, so the BIGGER my good works will be.

I'd like to THINK more about sharing the message of Jesus Christ, so the BIGGER my missionary efforts will be.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I see that quote when I go into the Valley and its very true. And especially true for me!

    I must not try to rush life, must be happy with what I have accomplished now and live in the present :)

    Thanks for your inspiring message to think of more valuable things like faith and good works!

    Hope your doing well J and we get to catch up soon!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this too J! The quote you shared is probably true for most of us!

    Thanks for the lovely reminder to "live in the day" and go forward into the future with faith!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. J,
    I drive past that may 2 -3 times a week. I know where it is I see it and I have never thought about.
    Great insights, but what else would I expect from you.
    hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true J! It reminds me of the scripture telling us to take no thought for what we will eat, or what we will wear, because we are God's children and He will take care of us. And also: 'Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof,' which almost sounds a little negative, but instead, I think means to deal with our days one at a time.
    Thank you for the thought :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete